Thursday 20 August 2009

At the well


You know the samaritan woman....the one Jesus met at the well. She didn't have a good reputation, She came to the well at midday(ever been to Abuja in March at midday?40°C.....get the picture?) Didn't want to be confronted by anyone, she had been criticized, judged, mocked and with good reason.....she would have none of that anymore....so when everyone was indoors because of the harsh weather conditions she was out there.... I WAS OUT THERE.

He was out there too, I wasn't hoping to see anyone in this place...AT THIS TIME! I'll hurry up, mind my own business get my water and be off! My self preoccupation was interrupted by His voice.....that voice! There was a quality in that voice...It was clear, not mocking like the others.
"Would you give me a drink of water?"
Oh I get it now, He is like the others, they just want something from me....I'm always giving, never recieving.... I take a good look at Him.... there is something pure about Him, something that makes me feel unclean....but He does not condemn me....still
"Why do You ask me for anything" (I have nothing good to offer You).
He tells me if I know who He was asking me to give Him water , I would ask Him and He would give me living waters.
Living waters??? I look at Him and He hasn't even got a bucket to get His own water....where is He going to get the living waters from!
He says anyone that drinks from His "living waters" will never thirst.
I laugh...."give me some of that living water of yours so that I don't have to come here again" (don't want to come back here in the hot sun, here were I have been laughed at, here were people stand aback and whisper to themselves about me...the pain!)
"Go call your husband... and come back"
" I don't have a husband" I say.(Don't even want to talk about it)
"It is true what you have said....you have had five, and this one you are living with is not yours"
I am perplexed, the words don't seem to come out of my mouth clearly, HE KNOWS ME! He knows my secret sins...he knows.
I drop my pot of water (all I hold dear, all I am, all I've got left), I look at Him more intently. Who is this man?? How does He know so much about me? In my confusion I start to tell Him what I know about worship.... " I am generally a good person really, I go to church on sunday, I am kind to my neighbours, I try to pray...."
He stops me "A time is coming....and it is here when true worshippers will worship God in spirit and in truth"...
In sincereity of heart....no ceremonies, no self righteousness, they will worship Him from their very hearts, with gratitude, inspite of the circumstances.
I told Him I had always felt God's love as a child, I said I know one day He will help.... Then He said " I am He"
I was so overjoyed that He knew me, overjoyed at all He told me!
Now I run....I'm running to tell everyone .....The good news.






No comments:

Post a Comment